06 Jul Eight Tips for Healthy Teeth and Gums
Common oral diseases like tooth decay and gum disease are preventable with proper dental care. Follow these easy tips to help keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Brush regularly but gently, using a soft-bristled toothbrush. Brushing too vigorously can damage your teeth and gums.
- Use fluoride toothpaste to help protect your teeth against tooth decay. After brushing, don’t rinse as this will leave a thin layer of protective fluoride coating your teeth for longer.
- Floss daily as your toothbrush cannot clean the contact areas between your teeth. Leaving these areas uncleaned means leaving approximately one-third of your tooth surfaces dirty.
- Book regular dental exams. Most people need to see us every six months for regular checkups.
- Don’t smoke or try to quit. Smoking makes it harder for your oral tissues to fight disease, increasing the risk of gum disease. It also gives you bad breath.
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash if you like to use a mouth rinse, as this will help control dental plaque.
- Don’t consume too many sugary and starchy foods, especially between meals, as these increase the risk of tooth decay.
Drink water instead of fizzy drinks or sweetened fruit juice. Water is also the best way to quench your thirst.